Career Opportunities

Career Opportunities at Your Fingertips
Currently you will find INT graduates employed as massage therapists at: Boyne Highlands, Grand Traverse Resort, Marquette General Hospital, Portage Health Systems, Physical Therapy at MTU athletics, Bay Harbor Resort, and a variety of private physician, psychologist, and chiropractic offices throughout the U.P. Florida, Arizona, Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon and other States. Some graduates have specialized in horse and pet massage, voice training, helping children with autism, or have incorporated massage therapy with other educational/consulting services. Job opportunities can include cruise ships, health spas, resorts, clubs, senior citizen homes, and trauma relief centers. Most INT graduates enjoy the self-employed, entrepreneurial life-style. Being a proprietor has many advantages; however, please be advised building a clientele can take 3- 5 years. INT does offer complementary start up business consultations and job placement services. We do not guarantee job placement

Massage Therapy Research
In today’s economic climate its paramount for massage therapists to respond to consumer behavior. INT facilitates our students’ learning with tools and methodologies that work in these changing times. 2015 research from the American Massage Therapy Association has shown the effectiveness of massage for the following conditions:
“Cancer-related fatigue, Low back pain, Osteoarthritis, Post-operative pain, Boosting the body’s immune system, Decreasing of carpal tunnel syndrome, Lowering blood pressure, Reducing headache frequency, Easing alcohol/drug withdrawal symptoms Decreasing pain in cancer patients, Fibromyalgia, Improved athletic performance; and reducing stress:”
54% of consumers receive massage for medical reasons, including for:

  • Pain relief/pain management
  • Injury recovery/rehabilitation
  • Soreness/stiffness
  • Keeping fit, healthy, and well

23% receive massage for Relaxation/Stress reduction
23% for pampering themselves/just to feel good or for a special treat or indulgence

Massage Therapy Industry Facts
The following is a compilation of data gathered by the American Massage Therapy Association® (AMTA®) from U.S. government statistics, surveys of consumers and massage therapists, and recent clinical studies on the efficacy of massage.

  • In 2015, the average annual income for a massage therapist (including tips) was estimated to be $24,519 for 16 actual hours of massage/week, charging an average of $68/hour.
  • While massage therapists work in a variety of work environments, sole practitioners who are self-employed account for the largest percentage of practicing therapists (67%).
  • Of all therapists, 38% work at their homes, the remaining 62% work at least part of their time at a client’s home/business/corporate setting, 35% at their office, 23% in a health care setting, and 29% in a spa setting.
  • 44 States license massage therapists and require a passing grade on the Massage & Bodywork Licensing Exam (MBLEx) or one of two exams provided by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork
  • It is estimated that there are 300,000 to 350,000 massage therapists and massage school students in the United States.

How to Obtain A Massage Therapy License
INT is not a regulatory or licensing agency and cannot issue a State license. Successful completion of the INT curriculum does in fact qualify graduates to enter the licensing process for Michigan, Wisconsin, and other states. Upon graduation students are required to take the Massage and Body Work Licensing Exam (MBLx) administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (www.fsmtb.org ). Your passing MBLx score and INT transcript are then sent with your application to the State to receive a State Massage Therapy License. The INT transcript and MBLx results may be used for licensing applications in about 35 of the 44 states that license massage. Occasionally, states, counties, cities and other local jurisdictions may require different permits, test, and stipulations to obtain a State license. Students are responsible for inquiring into ordinances and laws in the States or local jurisdictions in which they choose to practice.








Comments are closed.